Friday, October 2, 2009

Two weeks and counting...

I can't believe I've been here two weeks! I've met people and walked more than I have in my life and eaten so many different foods I can't keep up.

Today I tried Palačinke (crepes) at Cafe Brasil. They were pretty good-wish I'd taken a picture. They had bananas and chocolate inside with sladoled čokolada (chocolate icecream) and slag (whipped cream) on top! mm mm good!

Bosnia is known for specifically two foods: Čevapičiči, and Pita. Very interesting these are too. Čevapičiči is similar to Turkish kofte, or ground beef with onions and other spices rolled into logs (for lack of a better word). It is served usually in a big hamburger/type bun with lettuce and ajvar, a red sauce.
Pite (pie) is dough filled with meat, cheese, potatoes, or spinach. I haven't tried the one with potatoes, but the others are ok. Kinda greasy, but filling.

Unlike the great city of Istanbul which has every restaurant you could want, (Ok not Outback, but close) Sarajevo has a lot of restaurants that serve Čevapi and Pite and Palačike. They're everywhere. We did find a great Italian restaurant near where I live in Grbavica last night!

Probably the place that I have frequented the most is Torte i to. It's a small cafe two buildings over that has great tea, non-smoking, free wifi, and most of all cheesecake! Apparently it's where a bunch of people from the US embassy hang out because it's non-smoking and everywhere else is. The cheesecake is also a welcome comfort food. I've probably been there at least every other day or so since it was not until today that I was able to connect at our apartment.

No comments: